Allison Massari: Top Healthcare Speaker – Manage Change, Heal Burnout, Nourish and Celebrate Your People
“Compassion heals the places that medicine cannot touch.”™
“Brilliant.” “This was so INCREDIBLE! Thank you!” “Wow. No words.” “Fantastic communicator. Personal and compelling. Every healthcare provider should hear her story!” “Famously told.” “Incredibly moving and powerful session. Such beautiful and thought provoking words.” “Very eye opening!” “A riveting talk on the impact of human kindness.” “The best patient story of the conference.”
2016 PE Summit
— Cleveland Clinic (@ClevelandClinic) February 19, 2017
The Perfect Keynote to Open Your Conference to Highlight the Patient Experience and Patient-Centered Care
“It is important that all people in healthcare – including those without direct patient contact – feel valued and recognized for their role in compassionate care. My focus is to support and nourish healthcare professionals, to revive their passion for their mission in healthcare through the constant demands and changes, to alleviate burnout, and to be an advocate for patients and providers. I speak on the patient experience, supporting caregiver resilience while highlighting the profound impact of kindness in patient care, and kindness for each other. My life has been immersed in medicine. I’m a burn survivor, sustained a traumatic brain injury, and I was raised by an oncology surgeon and nurse, so I deeply understand both perspectives of patient and provider. I speak to a broad range of groups including physicians, nurses, leadership teams, technologists, IT professionals, and more.”
Content covered in Allison Massari’s healthcare keynotes (These can be for CEUs and CME):
• Navigate Constant Change
• Reclaim Your Passion for a Life’s Work in Healthcare
• Protect Caregiver Resiliency
• Heal Burnout in Healthcare Workers
• Encourage, Nourish, and Celebrate Your Healthcare Professionals
• Transform Patient Lives—The Art of Person-Centered Care℠
• Highlight the Patient Experience to Impact Patient Satisfaction
• Honor Compassionate, Authentic Patient Engagement – Kindness Affects the Bottom Line Click here
• Receive Actionable Tools for Personal Development
• Deepen Self-Awareness
• Activate Simple Concepts that Strengthen Resilience
• Achieve Peak Success Through Tough Times
• Master Adversity
• Inspire Patient Safety Through a Critically Acclaimed Survivor Story
• Optional Content: Raise Patient Satisfaction Scores
Keynote Length: Up to 60 minutes
Excellent for Events for Giving Back and Appreciating Healthcare Professionals, Awards Events, Leadership Retreats, Front Lines and All-Staff Events, Patient Experience & Patient Safety Conferences, Physician Retreats, Nursing Conferences, Events for Healthcare IT Professionals to Feel Valued as a Vital Part of Patient Care, For All Staff Who Do Not Have Direct Patient Contact to Feel Included and Celebrated for How they Impact Patient Care, And So Much More…
*Please scroll down to see Keynote Program Options and Program Descriptions
“I have found myself wondering, since your presentation, when presented with significant obstacles, “What would Allison do?”, and instead of giving up and giving in, I formulate a plan and initiate the plan. You have made a profound impact on my sense of well-being and ability to remain a “glass half full” kind of person.” “I am writing to let you know the inspiration I felt after your presentation at my Diagnostics Days in Pittsburgh, sponsored by Siemens Healthcare, on Tuesday, April 8, 2014. Having trained and worked at a hospital with a burn unit as a medical technologist in the laboratory, I could never have imagined that a story of such strength, passion, and resilience could come from such a horrific incident such as the one you experienced. As health care professionals, there are many times that our work can feel repetitive and at times, it is difficult for us to realize the difference we can make in the life of a patient by a simple gesture of kindness. You truly helped the audience understand the difference such a small act of kindness can bring to the peace of mind of our patients. I have received numerous comments from the over 100 customers in the audience with similar responses as well. Thanks so much for making our customer event an overwhelming success.”
Mary P. Conrad, MT (ASCP)
Regional Sales Manager
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics
Vice President Education & Communications
CHIME/HIMSS CIO Forum
Download Allison’s Healthcare Speaker Packet: Click Here
This document has program descriptions for Allison’s Healthcare Keynotes and CE programs as well as deliverables for the audience, biography, benefits etc.
Read More Client Testimonials: Click Here
Healthcare Reform and Patient Centered Care – Customized for Technologists| 6 minutes
“Compassionate care is not just about being kind. Being an expert at your job is compassionate care. Being fully present with your tasks and triple checking your work is compassionate care. Being skilled at putting an IV in is compassionate care. Being up to date on the most effective delivery of treatments that minimize pain and discomfort is compassionate care.”
*More demo videos with extended clips are below.
“I knew that if I could bring healing to the healers that I could have the greatest impact.” —Allison Massari
Paul A. Klein
Director Global Commercial Marketing Healthcare IT
Allison’s keynote is customized for every healthcare audience:
Leadership, Managers, Supervisors, Nurses, Physicians, Finance, IT, Food Service, Maintenance, Environmental Services, Technologists, Diagnosticians, Pharmacists, Physical Therapists, Board Members, Pharmaceutical Sales, etc.
Massari’s program illustrates the fact that every healthcare professional has a crucial impact on patient-centered care – including those who do not have direct patient contact. By specifically recognizing the ways that their work is directly tied to a human being, Allison generates a deeper connection to the patient experience for each participant. They learn that their expertise, attentiveness, and kindness improves the health and success of patients, boosts their own sense of well being, and directly affects the bottom line of their business through patient satisfaction scores and reimbursements.
According to research from the Journal of Healthcare Management and Current Directions in Psychological Science (Wiley-Blackwell), programs like Allison’s are directly linked to higher performance, fewer sick days, more engaged employees, more patient referrals, less turnover, and higher company profits.
“I watched as the entire room rose to their feet in a standing ovation. Her work is phenomenal, and life altering.”
Eli Lilly and Company
Neuroscience Sales Representative
Allison Massari’s unique history offers an unprecedented perspective on the demands and challenges of the medical profession. Raised by her father, a cancer surgeon, and her mother, a nurse, Allison was mentored in the world of medicine from an early age. Captivated by her father’s compassionate work, she shadowed him in his practice, and later worked in hospitals and medical office settings.
Then, in 1998, Massari experienced firsthand the essential value of receiving personalized healthcare from devoted, empathetic providers when she survived a near fatal car crash. Hit at 60 mph, she was trapped inside her burning car, conscious the entire time, and suffered second and third degree burns on over 50% of her body. Three years later, a second devastating collision caused her to sustain a closed-head traumatic brain injury. After collectively spending hundreds of days in hospitals, doctors offices, and physical therapy centers, Allison learned to navigate her way to true healing, happiness, and incredible success.
Remarkably, Allison views her experiences as a gift, one that gave her tools and understanding to share with others. “The truth is that the same internal fire and ‘command of self’ that I needed to heal my life is exactly what has given me success professionally.” Allison shares her journey of determination, courage, and the rigorous pursuit of hope with warmth, humor, passion, and authenticity. Her rare history strengthens her ability to illuminate the essential and delicate nature of patient-centered care, and discuss sensitive subjects without alienating audience members.
In her stunning keynote, Allison shows how to triumph despite tragedies, how to thrive in turbulent times, and how compassionate, patient-centered care can build an expansive, life-changing foundation for healing – for both patient and provider. Allison is a leading educator in healthcare – helping to heal burnout, offering support for compassion fatigue, and providing a preeminent program on patient-centered care for Continuing Medical Education (CME) and Continuing Education Units (CEU). In addition, she addresses employees and industries who do not have direct patient contact, highlighting their invaluable impact on the patient.
Allison’s vision and clarity, her honest and encouraging communication, and her gift in actuating the steps towards her clients’ success, make her an invaluable asset to any organization. She adapts her message to address the individual issues affecting each market and has worked with diverse industries including Finance, Insurance, Sales, IT, and Non-profits.
Meet Allison: From from the Documentary Film “Resolve”
“98% of evaluations on content, presentation, and satisfaction scored her at a 5 (highest rating)” “Allison Massari is an outstanding presenter and keynoter who will inspire any audience with her passion, compassion, and message of hope and renewal. We have used her in several programs and consistently the audience loves her. At one recent program 98% of evaluations on content, presentation, and satisfaction scored her at a 5 (highest rating). This is not unusual. Allison is often listed on evaluations as the best thing about the conference. We will continue to feature Allison in our programs whenever we have the opportunity; she is wonderful!”
President/CEO Hospital Council of Northern & Central California
Extended Clips| 8 minutes
“You are an artist painting beauty in people’s hearts.”
“A recent survey by Wakefield Research for Dignity Health, one of the five largest health systems in the nation, confirmed our longstanding belief that delivering care with kindness matters. Kindness is, indeed, important to patients. Feeling comfort, experiencing a sense of community and being cared for as a whole person and not just as an illness allow patients to focus on healing. These feelings are so powerful that they help patients to decide where to seek treatment and how much they are willing to pay for it. The Wakefield survey revealed that nearly three-fourths of respondents would be willing to pay more to visit health care providers who emphasized kindness in their treatment approach. In addition, nearly 88 percent are willing to travel farther to receive kinder care.” Click here to read more
“You are the HEALERS of the world!”™ —Allison Massari
Allison Massari Offers Unparalleled Benefits:
- Meaning: Reclaim your passion for your life’s work in healthcare.
- Productivity: Equipped with tools to handle stress and manage trials more effectively, employee loyalty, ownership, efficiency and retention will reach new heights of success.
- Encouragement and Appreciation: Allison speaks brilliantly and generously to each individual’s need for recognition, and affirms their value as healers.
- Patient Engagement: Hear the patient’s perspective through humorous, heartfelt, compelling stories. Allison examines the most difficult topics with understanding and compassion for medical professionals.
- Ingenuity: Audiences gain a fresh outlook on their job and their lives, invigorating their enthusiasm and imagination.
- Inspiration: Discover how good can prevail in the most difficult situations. Find strength and encouragement in the face of understaffing and fatigue.
- Confidence: Participants learn to respond to difficult circumstances, innovate, and constructively communicate with co-workers and the world around.
- Mastery: Allison’s program offers tools to successfully manage debilitating emotions that inhibit creativity, motivation, and productivity.
- Financial Success: Enhance quality of service, minimize complaints, and generate more patient referrals.
- Happiness: Receive real solutions for navigating adversity, reducing stress and feeling more equipped to face life’s challenges.
- Transformation: Her program is truly life-altering and paradigm shifting. The audience will be forever changed.
Determination and Guts | 3 minutes
The Decision for Unconditional Happiness | 1.5 minutes
Understanding Difficult People | 7.5 minutes
The Power of Love | 1 minute
Personal Development Content | 6.5 minute
Every Act of Kindness Counts | 2 minutes
The Power of Healthcare Providers| 1 minute
Inside the Patient Experience | 1 minute
“Allison Massari is the ultimate keynote professional!”
“She applies an enormous amount of care and effort to truly learn about her audience, so as to craft a uniquely tailored presentation—and she then delivers a keynote experience that is sure to nurture audience members’ minds, hearts and souls! The impact of her authentic presence is enduring.”
Vice President of Operations & COO
National Home Infusion Association
Keynote Programs (These may be offered for Continuing Medical Education or CEU’s):
1) Transforming Patient Lives: The Heart and Soul of Health Care℠
* Alternate Title Options:
• Transforming Patient Lives: The Art of Person-Centered Care℠
• The Power of One℠ – Changing the World One Person at a Time
• The Fire Within℠
• Triumph Through Change℠
Allison Massari knows that you have the power to transform lives. As the survivor of two life-threatening car accidents, one where she was severely burned and suffered second and third degree burns on over 50% of her body, Allison has a deep understanding of what it takes to heal. With sensitivity and compassion born from her experience, Allison shines light on the provider’s immense value to a patient who is suffering, reinvigorating employees and helping heal burnout in the workplace. She explains, “The power of what you do goes far beyond the technical part of your job. You are healing the places medicine cannot touch. In fact, YOU are the medicine.” As an advocate for both patient and healthcare provider, Allison’s program illustrates how kindness is a critical healing tool. Her unforgettable keynote stories reveal the potent impact that each provider had upon her journey, and how some of the most dramatic healing occurred in a matter of seconds. Those moments are vital to recovery. Despite time constraints and everyday stresses, participants will see that it is possible to quickly bring their humanity to a patient. This visceral knowledge uplifts and motivates participants, reminding each person of why they went into healthcare in the first place. In this breathtaking and thought-provoking keynote, Allison takes her audience on a journey and offers a sincere and direct approach to transcending life’s difficulties. Her experiences and her extensive time in recovery give her compelling authority to energize health care teams, and to galvanize their commitment to this noble profession. Packed with tools to manage change and adversity, Allison’s life-changing message mobilizes audiences to always find a way to be the healer in the room.
In this session, Allison will equip participants to:
• Transform burnout into passion and a self-generating desire to give.
• Master the art of expressing kindness in just three seconds – regardless of professional challenges and pressures. Learn how those simple acts can be profoundly memorable to a patient.
• Empathize more deeply with the patient experience.
• Identify that compassionate care is not dependent upon direct patient contact, and that being an expert at your job, no matter the role, is a part of compassionate care.
• Shift from feeling defeated by limited time and resources to feeling empowered to make a real difference in patients’ lives.
• Witness the pronounced significance that patient empathy and engagement can have upon the healing process.
• Realize that vigilance and attentiveness is noticed and deeply appreciated, even if the patient is incapable of communicating.
• Experience being valued, respected, and honored for your mission in healthcare.
• Deepen self-awareness and activate simple concepts that strengthen resilience.
• (Optional) Understand the correlation between delivering compassionate care and the financial success of a facility due to the impact of improved patient satisfaction on reimbursements.
• Utilize specific tools for managing a stressful environment or a difficult person.
• Recognize the vital influence of family and emotional support in the healing process in order to foster and encourage those relationships.
• Gain awareness of the necessity for patient modesty, even when someone is in a coma or other severe physical state.
• Prioritize being up to date on the most humane and effective treatments to minimize pain and discomfort.
“There is staggering scientific data showing that mastering one’s emotions is directly linked to the bottom line of your business.” – Harvard Business Review Research
2) The Survival Guide to Being Human℠ – and the Art of Happiness
* Alternate Title Options:
• The Fire Within℠ – The Art of Exceptional Self-Leadership
• Triumph Through Change℠ – The Mindset for Success
• Triumph Over Tragedy℠ – Success through Change, Adversity, and Tough Times
• Wellness and Well-Being at Work℠ – Empowering Employees to Better Manage Their Lives
• Thriving in Turbulent Times℠ - Activating Courage and Confidence to Achieve Heroic Success
• Self-Mastery℠ – Burn Bright and Blaze a Trail for Others
• The Mindset for Success℠ – Activating True Resilience
Prepare to be taken on a journey. In this moving and thought-provoking keynote, Allison Massari teaches her listeners to find peace, purpose, and happiness, and gives them the tools they need to rise above any obstacle. As the survivor of two life-threatening car accidents, and having suffered severe second and third degree burns on over 50% of her body, Allison reveals her personal journey from absolute loss, to forgiveness and understanding, and finally to a success and life beyond anything she could have imagined. Through the power of storytelling, Allison weaves humor, empathy, and potent life lessons, allowing the audience to study what she learned on each step of her path. You will hear and understand the answers to some of life’s biggest questions. This dynamic and deeply moving speech fortifies audience members with a new vision and applicable tools for managing change and adversity.
“The truth is, the same internal fire and ‘command of self’ that I needed to heal my life is exactly what has given me success professionally. They are all the same qualities. Science shows us today that the ability to have a sense of well-being and your resilience in the face of challenges, is directly linked to the bottom line of your business. This is the type of personal and professional development that I embrace fully and love to teach.”—Allison Massari
In this session, Allison will equip participants to:
• Grow motivation and confidence through an extraordinary story of overcoming extreme adversity and finding the internal strength for hope to flourish.
• Discover the wellspring for creating a phenomenal life.
• Promote exceptional customer service and teamwork by learning to navigate and bring ease to the most challenging situations.
• Increase generative capacity, inventiveness, resourcefulness and excitement.
• Learn a simple tool to transform debilitating feelings of defeat, doubt, and sorrow.
• Work with humor – learn to access humor’s joy and grace, even in moments of heightened stress.
• Deepen self-awareness and activate simple concepts that strengthen resilience.
• Inspire team-building through palpable stories of the heroic impact of community.
• Develop and maintain personal command and integrity in the face of feeling attacked, betrayed, hurt or enraged.
• Witness the powerful results of fierce determination and tenacity in an ‘impossible situation’.
• Demystify false concepts that impede well-being.
• Choose the most powerful action to take when addressing the everyday challenges of being human.
• Build a positive outlook despite seemingly insurmountable odds.
“Seek out wisdom and abundance will follow you.”—Allison Massari
3) Content from the above keynotes is easily combined and customized
What is the mindset we need to have success in this world? What does it look and feel like to be fully alive and in command of your life? At any moment, life can throw adversity in our direction: the shock of sudden financial loss, an automobile accident, uncertainty and unrest from changes at work, the pain of feeling disliked or judged by a colleague or friend who seems to completely misunderstands who we are. …What does it take to be ok inside of ourselves no matter what is happening out in the world?
Life is easy when things are going our way. What defines our true character is who we are when things are not going our way, when we are put to the test… when we are faced with the impossible.
True resilience and success, both personally and professionally, requires an intricate understanding of the mechanisms inside ourselves that allow us to navigate adversity. With this knowledge, we can pursue and advance towards our dreams and goals with unwavering courage, purpose, confidence and the strength of an open heart.
With mastery, conviction, and the power of storytelling, Allison Massari teaches audiences the potent life lessons that she learned on each step of her path after she was severely burned in a fire and faced seemingly insurmountable odds. Her stunning keynote offers effective tools for participants to immediately better manage their lives and navigate the everyday challenges of being human.
4) Nurturing Organizational Transformation: Leadership Lessons with a Personalized Perspective
* This keynote blends the programs above, specifically customized for leaders. Patient-centered care is critical not only to a patient’s recovery but also to the financial success of medical facilities, now more than ever. Regulatory pressures, board and stakeholder demands, and doing more with less serve as game changers for healthcare executives. In addition to these practical strains, healthcare leaders often assume the role of coach, mentor, friend, motivator, and career counselor while simultaneously establishing and maintaining an executive presence. With keen insight and appreciation for the challenges faced by leaders in healthcare, Allison addresses the personal side to/of their work, which can be quickly forgotten with the pressures of the day. This dynamic and poignant program provides innovative leadership lessons that invigorate and fortify participants to be able to tackle their work with newfound vigor and expansive thinking.
According to Current Directions in Psychological Science ©Wiley-Blackwell reports that poor mental health affects employees in the following areas:
• 50% put off challenging tasks
• 46% lost patience with customers & clients
• 41% felt their ability to make decision was affected
• 36% felt they were likely to have conflict with colleagues
Journal of Healthcare Management
Why Hire Allison?
According to research from the Journal of Healthcare Management and Current Directions in Psychological Science (Wiley-Blackwell) programs like Allison’s are directly linked to higher performance, fewer sick days, more engaged employees, patient referrals, less turnover, and company profits!
• Voted on the “Best Keynote Speakers” List – M&C Magazine.
• Named 2017 TOP 25 Speaker – Over 27,000 Votes Were Cast.
• Inspires confidence, expands hope, ignites courage, and removes blocks to success – fostering passion in life and work.
• Unique history as an internationally successful entrepreneur, burn survivor, brain injury survivor, award-winning artist, and professional coach, consultant, and encourager.
• Instructive, authentic, heartening, and transformational.
• International TED speaker and Main Platform presenter at Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT).
• Vision, clarity, encouragement, and a gift in actuating the steps to success.
• Featured expert in the award-winning documentary “ReSolve” (narrated by Scott Neil, Head of Special Forces, US Military, Afghanistan).
• Voted #1 National “Rising Star” by the National Speakers Association, 2011. • Author of the audio book “Ignited”.
Allison Massari’s Healthcare Speaking on NBC News | 2.5 minute
“Allison’s presentation hit home to every health care professional in the room, reinforcing for them the tremendous impact they have on their own patients. Additionally…her sincerity, kindness and positive attitude on life was uplifting and created a fantastic buzz among the attendees! I highly recommend Allison as a keynote speaker.”
CEO National Home Infusion Association
“She is invaluable.” “We are thrilled to have sponsored her conference keynote. Before an appreciative NHIA audience, Allison’s connection with the CHAP brand proved to be invaluable. Allison’s energy and message is right on!“
Vice President of Business Development
Community Health Accreditation Program (CHAP)
Stay tuned for a new keynote coming: Mastering Your LifeSM
This will be an excellent closing speech for the day. This enlightening program will offer audience members tools to immediately and more effectively manage their lives. Delivered with a light, casual, and humorous tone, this content-rich speech specifically addresses well-being, and personal and professional development, drawing from many of Allison’s key lessons from her coaching practice. Participants can sit back, relax, laugh, learn, and feel supported.
Allison will equip participants to:
• Learn the first thing to do when a crisis hits.
• Implement two rules for managing personal anger effectively.
• Acquire a specific tool to shift out of deep loneliness.
• Differentiate between self-discipline and self-bullying.
• Successfully move through an embarrassing experience.
• Embrace and activate ‘unconditional confidence’ •
Gain the tools for creating and utilizing a support system.
• Take charge of their own well-being and happiness.
• And so much more…
“Words seem colorless, or voiceless, to try to express the impact you made on me. I wanted to thank you again for your gifts that you gave us at the “Good to Best” conference last weekend. I was going to try to describe them with a few powerful adjectives, but my list got longer and longer without capturing what I meant, or what your message and energy meant to me. Words seem colorless, or voiceless, to try to express the impact you made on me. I have been thinking about [your 2nd keynote speech “Mastering Your Life”], and what I most appreciated is that I never felt like I was listening to a ‘motivational speaker’… it was like I was visiting with my dear friend over a cup of tea or a glass of wine, solving the world’s problems, and our own, as we shared precious time together….as though I was the one struggling that day, and you were the one sharing the wisdom and strength, although sometimes we change roles, because that’s what friends do….. In that sense, it felt more like personal sharing and not motivational advice or professional guidance, neither of which is necessarily a bad thing, but you were wearing the friend persona, not the ‘expert’ persona, and that made the difference…. The stories that accompanied each tip were hilarious and endearing and made me feel like I knew you: when you came up behind me at the airport and asked me a question, and I turned around and recognized you and exclaimed “Allison!”, I was waiting for you to respond, “Eileen!”, because of course, by now you felt like my dear friend! So, my dear friend Allison, thank you again for sharing your life and your light and your many gifts. I hope my gratitude in turn is a small gift to you.”
“Propel yourself towards your dreams with complete abandon.”—Allison Massari
A lovely memory and image is below after delivering seven keynotes in four days for SSM Health Care in St. Louis, MO! It was a series of events that they put on in devotion to their entire staff. We had 600-800 people at each event. During each program I did a Q&A session via text with them to engage and connect with them, which I always love to do. They brought me in like I was family and it was truly special.
On the last day, several of the team members came up on stage with me to get a selfie with me, and you can see our joy!
This work is such an honor.
Researchers at the University of Michigan School of Public Health found that the biggest factor in patient satisfaction was employee morale and well-being. In this report, researchers found that the top 50% of these hospitals that were scored on satisfaction, the same hospitals were found to be in the top 10% of national hospital rankings. 90% of patients said they would return and refer. And regarding worker satisfaction and retention, most had turnover rates less than 10 percent per year in nursing and in all personnel. Wright, T. A., & Bonett, D. G. (2007). Job satisfaction and psychological well-being as nonadditive predictors of workplace turnover. Journal of Management, 33(2), 141-160. Griffith, J. R. (2009). Finding the Frontier of Hospital Management. Journal of Healthcare Management, 54(1), 57-73.